The Duke of Sussex (a character in - maybe - crisis) - The Secondhand Bookworm series of novels, English bookshop

I keep wondering/considering how to change the title one of my long-standing characters in my 'The Secondhand Bookworm' series after the Queen of England pinched my title of 'Duke of Sussex' and bestowed it upon Prince Harry. If I had chosen a lower title in the British peerage it would have been fine, like an Earl, Viscount or Baron, or made up a region, but I loved the idea of having a Duke of Sussex since the title had been extinct since 1843 with the death of Prince Augustus Frederick. I wonder, did her Majesty read my novels and think it would be a good title to resurrect (chuckles to self).

I picked the 'Duke of Sussex' because my novels are set in a bookshop in Sussex in the fictional town of 'Castletown'. The royal resident arrives in book 3 'Christmas at the Secondhand Bookworm' which was published in December 2017. Yes, it's entirely possible that Queen Elizabeth II read it and was inspired by my character (chuckles again to self).

So the Duke of Sussex in my bookshop series was always going to gradually come forward and be an established character and now when I write him I frown because it's no longer 'original'. I could change it and republish my amended novels (they are available in Kindle and Paperback print on demand so not too much of a hassle) but I think I will just stick with it and hope any readers realize that the character was already alive and Duke-ing about Sussex long before Prince Harry's wedding.

Sometimes I get obsessed with a creative idea. I design my own book covers in 'Microsoft word' (I am a control freak and like to do as much as possible myself) and it's actually quite interesting how cover-creating can help plan a series of novels. Here are a few future 'Bookworm' novels I'm looking forward to writing.

2019 bookworm novels
Having worked/managed/ran a family owned secondhand and antiquarian bookshop in Sussex for ten years I have ten years of notes, experiences and stories (with fresh ones provided by my cousin who stepped into my shoes) and I so enjoy writing about them in a fictionalized novel form.

How do I have the time to write?

I do a lot of film editing and sometimes I have to sit and wait for 'rendering' of footage. I have my laptop up beside me and when I'm waiting for the 'green' I get in a bit of writing. My bookshop series is an easy read and great fun to write. Sometimes I go for weeks without getting a chance to continue on a story, for instance when organizing a large order for Mary's Dowry Productions or editing a new film, but usually I get to grab some time here and there and so far I've been able to make good progress, especially in this series.

Hopefully I'll be able to make available some more during 2019!

The Secondhand Bookworm series is available on Kindle, Kindle Unlimited and in paperback direct from AMAZON worldwide. Start the series today (and meet the first Duke of Sussex).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get ready for the Apocalypse at The Secondhand Bookworm - new book coming soon!

THIS WEEKEND - Free KINDLE SUMMER book - Summer at the Secondhand Bookworm

A trip to Badgers Books, Worthing and some resources