A brief conversation with Justin Hammer - Bookworm covers so far - designing covers for 'The Secondhand Bookworm' series of novels.

"I like my dessert first. I had this flown in from San Francisco. It's Italian. Organic ice cream." - Justin Hammer, Iron Man 2
"I like to design my novel covers first. I designed these using Microsoft Word. Beautiful book covers." - Emily Jane Bevans, author


I know exactly how Justin Hammer feels. It could be said that the best part of finishing a novel is having your book cover designed and finished and looking just how you want it to. The finished book cover is like a dessert. And why can't we have our desserts first?

I am too impatient to wait until the end of my writing for the finished book cover, and I actually like the inspiration of the finished cover to keep me racing towards the end. So I plan, plot and design my novels and covers alongside one another.

The Secondhand Bookworm series started back in 2007-2008 while I worked at a chain of secondhand and antiquarian bookshops in West Sussex. Originally I planned to write them, privately publish them and hand them around to my work colleagues for some fun, but I did always dream of having them published properly for others to discover and hopefully enjoy. 
My first two novels in my bookshop series had different covers in their first run, so when I set about publishing them on Amazon Kindle I redesigned them and then continued with deigning covers for four of the following books.


Here are the covers of the first six novels in the series so far:

Book One kick starts the series

Book Two
Available now

Book Three
As of February 2018 I am half way through

Book Four
Planning to write this over the summer

Book Five
Ambitiously hoping to be onto this one come October

Book Six
Would be great to have this one ready for next Feb
So, I shall continue working on Book Three 'Christmas at the Secondhand Bookworm' in between my film projects and am keen to work my way through my series, especially with the covers ready and waiting. Books one and two are available now on Kindle Unlimited and in Amazon paperback. They are a lighthearted easy read, amusing, fun, clean and feelgood set in the world of secondhand bookshops. 

Available now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get ready for the Apocalypse at The Secondhand Bookworm - new book coming soon!

THIS WEEKEND - Free KINDLE SUMMER book - Summer at the Secondhand Bookworm

A trip to Badgers Books, Worthing and some resources